Wednesday, July 3, 2013

7/3, Starting at the bottom

Today begins with working out details of the embellishments in the foliage at the bottom of the drawing.  During college, Richard Mattson reminded me to think about each painting's outer edges, and Lester Goldman reminded me to think of the bottom of the composition.  Frequently Lester would have me raise the bottom edge of my paintings to my eye level while I worked on them.  He was right, of course, and the composition and cohesion in each work benefited greatly as a result.  I will be following Lester's advice again today, and jump start the day's work with a sketchbook study of that area.

Sketchbook page, for long term drawing #7, marker, ink and pen on paper, 9" x 12"

Long term drawing sketchbook drawings are based on.  Area of pictorial study is highlighted.

The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward 
significance.  - Aristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment